It's here! It's here!
I love Thanksgiving. I love the food, the family, the friends, the togetherness of it all. And I love that the very next day I can start putting up Christmas decorations. I love the smell of leaves and crackling fires and pumpkin pies. And the next day, I love the smell of hot apple cider and pine trees.
Here is what I am most thankful for from this year:
1. The family. Every last one of them. From my parents to my siblings, from my nieces and nephews to my in-laws. And for those who are not blood- or marriage-related but are family nonetheless.
2. The running. The day after day of putting one foot in front of the other at quite possibly the slowest pace.
|A run in the rain...|
3. The unexpected moments of beauty. The surprises.
4. The new friends as well as the old friends. Their presence, unexpected and familiar, is a sweet reminder.
5. The many wonderful trips to the beaches (from Point Reyes to Monastery Beach (also known as Mortuary Beach), from Ocean Beach to Mendocino). I love the water and the smell and the company I have kept there.
6. The music. This year, the husband and I have been to many shows. So many shows. I don't know why he decided to do this little activity this year, but he did. And I have loved it. But my favorite was a show that I snuck away from Steinbeck camp, drove two hours, saw the show, woke up early the next morning, and was back at class by 8 a.m. It felt decadent.
|The Avett Brothers|
7. The books. From Steinbeck camp to refalling in love with Mrs. Dalloway all over again. The dedicated time to think about literature and place.
|This little photo is from the Hamilton Ranch, as it figures prominently in East of Eden by Steinbeck|
8. The last 16 years with Jujubee. She died about a month ago. She was a traveller, that one, living in Illinois, Ohio, DC, Colorado, and California. She saw it all.
|Juubee is the third one back.|
9. My parking god. He was the recipient of last year's Thanksgiving letter, but I have appreciated his presence again and again this year. He has found me spots when I was ready to give up and he kept me from getting a parking ticket just this past week. He is a good man.
10. And this little place to write it all down just for a little while. Thanks for being here... I have enjoyed having this place to think about food and literature and friends and family. And I have been glad to have you here to share it. Thank you.
May your Thanksgiving be wonderful and full.