Recipe: German Apple Pancake
Now we have to go work it off with a hike in the Berkeley hills.
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vegetable or safflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Add the apples and sauté until soft. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar. Place in the oven to keep warm while you mix the batter.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, milk, eggs, oil, vanilla, and nutmeg. Using a handheld mixer, mix until blended. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Remove the skillet from the oven, and pour the batter over the apple mixture. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 10 minutes longer.
5. Remove from oven. Dust with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve at once.